To run your call center successfully, you will have to do more than providing your agents with a script. It includes real-time training via call whispering. 49% of employees want learning to be available at the point of the need.
Call whispering allows managers to monitor and join calls to coach agents in real-time. It provides them with relevant information and helps handle similar situations in the future.
But what is call whispering? How does it help your agents improve? Let’s take a look at it.
What is call whispering, and how does it work?
Call whispering is a feature that allows managers to hear customers’ queries and provide a quick solution for the agent to immediately address the issue at hand.
When you use the call whispering feature, the agent can hear both the manager’s and the customer’s voice while the customer only hears the representative’s voice.
Call center coaching best practices
Coaching a call center agent helps you improve their performance. However, regular coaching is not very common in organizations. A study by Harvard Business review found that 69% of managers find it uncomfortable speaking with their employees.
That’s where call whispering can help. It allows managers to smoothly train call center agents without making them uncomfortable. Here are some call center coaching best practices to follow:
- Make sure to train each agent (including top performers)
- Provide timely feedback frequently
- Help agents reach their goals by helping them handle complex calls with call whispering
- Give suggestions and not orders. Let them decide if they should say what you want them to speak or not
- Explain why you want them to speak in a certain way. It gives them a better understanding of the situation
- Consider your agent’s point of view to understand the “why” behind their “whats”
- Highlight the positives and praise the agent even when they are doing just what you expect them to. Coaching is not about just passing judgments or pointing out mistakes
- Don’t overdo it. Let agents handle some complex calls themselves to ensure they are learning
- Collect call data metrics and share them with employees to encourage them
When done right, call center coaching can help your agents gain expertise in their work, which will increase customer satisfaction.
How call whispering improves your agent’s performance?
Your call center will thrive only when each of your agents performs better. According to a study by Oxford University found that happy and satisfied employees are13% more productive and happy.
Call whispering is a feature that makes call center coaching easy for managers. It also ensures your support agents won’t have to put customers on hold to get a solution for their problems and saves them from the embarrassment of asking their colleagues for answers.
As a result, your agents will feel confident in their jobs, and customers will be more satisfied (due to timely and appropriate resolution).
However, call whispering when combined with call monitoring and call barging can further enhance your call center coaching efforts. Here’s how:
- Call monitoring: It allows you to listen to the agent’s conversation with the customer, thereby providing you a better understanding of how they handle calls. This helps ensure that all your employees are following the customer support best practices
- Call whispering: It allows you to provide hints and tips to your agents in real-time (during a call). This on-the-spot training will help your agents improve their support/sales skills
- Call barging: It allows you to take over calls from an agent when he cannot handle calls. Call barging is essential as when a customer gets irritated, they demand to speak to the agent’s senior. An experienced agent (or manager) can then take over the call and resolve the issue.
Benefits of call whispering
When choosing a VoIP system, ensure that it has a call whispering feature. Here’s why:
- Helps train new call center agents
- Enables you to track how your agents are handling customers
- Provides valuable information for coaching call center agents
- Lets you assist your employees through complex calls
- Increases call center agents’ communication skills
- Empowers you to increase customer satisfaction
- Boost your agents’ confidence and job satisfaction
Future of call whispering
According to The Economist, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) will be increasingly deployed in the call centers to learn from humans how to handle complex incoming calls.
Over time, AI and ML will get better and make human agents more efficient by quickly analyzing similar past interactions and call whispering it to agents’ screens.
The primary benefit of implementing AI in call whispering is that it is cost-effective and works faster than humans. Besides, it will free up the manager’s time that they would spend listening to agents’ calls.
Call whispering can help you boost your agents’ performance and customer satisfaction. Ask your VoIP if they have the call whispering feature. If not, consider choosing a provider that offers a call whispering.
Have you tried to call whispering? How does it help your contact center? Let us know in the comments.