Senior Writer: Hiba Ali
Virtual phone numbers, also known as direct access or inward dialing number, is a phone number that does not have a directly connected line. Typically, these numbers are programmed to forward incoming calls to another telephone, whether VoIP, fixed or mobile.
You can set up this flexible free virtual phone system without any prior technical knowledge. Additionally, these virtual phone numbers can record voicemails, share the same number with others, and share the same number with other businesses.
According to Persistence Market Research, The VoIP services market is expected to reach $194.5 billion by 2024. Virtual phone systems are growing due to low maintenance and setup costs, minimal staff support, improved reliability, and robust features.
Below are the 15 best free virtual phone number providers for your business:
RingCentral provides a comprehensive business communications solution using VoIP technology. In addition, the company specializes in cloud-based communications and offers virtual phone numbers, 800 numbers, and vanity numbers to businesses of all sizes.
It can even allow you to reach clients via video voicemail, and you can respond to them in the same format, offering seamless customer service. As your business grows, you’ll enjoy access to add extensions and forwarding calls to the right employee.
Caller ID control, call screening, call logs, notifications of missed incoming calls, and faxes are also present in RingCentral’s functionality.
With its cloud PBX, this company could streamline internal communication and eliminate your phone bill. You can use a desktop softphone application to run conference calls with remote team members, with or without video.
A well-rounded communication solution, RingCentral integrates with more than a hundred business apps and surpasses industry standards while remaining within the average price range from $19 to $49 per month per user.
- Wide range of Local and Toll-Free Number
- Additional features include Call screening, call logs, forwarding, and notifying missed phone calls and faxes.
- Unlimited SMS & Video conferencing
- Present in 100+ countries with local plans & international virtual phone numbers.
For the first 15 days, RingCentral offers a free trial on all three pricing plans and allows you to try all features without any limitations.
Vonage supports over 85 countries and provides the most comprehensive portfolio of virtual numbers available worldwide.
The Vonage Business Communications service includes voice, text, fax, team messaging, and video conferencing, not to mention an intuitive video collaboration solution for everyone in the organization and the ability to prioritize traffic for optimal quality and performance.
Additionally, Vonage instantly provides a virtual phone number, which you can use to make and receive phone calls and messages.
You should go with Vonage if you are looking for an instant solution that allows you to obtain virtual numbers that are well tested and of high quality without having to negotiate contracts. Furthermore, These numbers will work well in your clients’ markets, ensuring excellent customer engagement.
- Unified communications: voice, video, & instant messaging app
- 50+ phone features and integrated solutions
- 99.999% global reliability and Quality of Service (QoS)
- Enhanced productivity and connectivity
- Scalability & global presence
Although Vonage doesn’t provide a free VoIP number, you can try all features of Vonage without any restrictions for a 30-Day risk-free trial of Vonage when you subscribe to one of the four plans offered by Vonage.
CallHippo was created to be a convenient, efficient, and cost-effective way for small businesses and their customers to communicate. With this service, you can better service your customers, take advantage of more business opportunities, and even generate more conversions.
CallHippo offers virtual phone numbers from more than 50 countries, the ability to add multiple users, and the capacity to make international calls. Furthermore, You can set up a call center with its user-friendly interface in just a few minutes.
Additionally, CallHippo allows you to record conversations for later review by managers. At the same time, the real-time analytics feature is handy if you need detailed information about callers, call durations, or call quality.
CallHippo integrates with Zapier, Zoho, Zendesk, Slack, HubSpot, Intercom, Groove, Freshdesk, and Pipedrive. Pricing ranges from $14 to $35 per month per user, and support is provided via email, phone, live chat, and documentation.
- Virtual numbers based on prefixes and keywords
- Exceptional Call management tools
- Mobile applications for Android and iOS devices
- Advanced features include conference calls, transfer, queuing, call barging, cell phone number forwarding, ring all, team collaboration tool, voicemail, and on-hold music.
- Automated integrations
CallHippo offers a free trial for all of its plans, and you get an intuitive dashboard, a call forwarding feature, call management, email voicemail, and more.
Compared to other virtual phone number providers, 8×8 stands up quite nicely. Getting started is relatively easy. Choose a plan, choose a virtual phone number—or port one over—and register online. If you’re purchasing an advanced program, an 8×8 support professional can assist you in setting everything up.
8×8 integrates seamlessly with top business applications, including CRMs. Plus, 8×8 ‘s audio and video conferencing can accommodate up to 500 participants depending on your chosen plan.
Pricing ranges from $15 to $44. While 8×8’s X-series customer support generally exceeds expectations, Express plan customers do not have access to higher-tier plans’ 24/7 phone and chat support. In addition, express plan customers can submit questions via the website, but help may not provide answers immediately.
- Superior team-communication tools like HD conference calls, screen sharing, one-to-one messaging, and group chatting for up to 100 people.
- Developed speech & interaction analytics.
- You can switch from chat to voice or video meetings with just one click.
- Advanced IVR system directs callers to the correct department.
- Intelligent Call Conference, Call Forwarding, Call Routing, and Call Recording services
Though 8×8 doesn’t provide a free VoIP number, a 30-day free trial is available for up to 10 users with unlimited calling and features like auto-attendant, call routing, and voicemail.
5. Ooma Office Phone System
A business phone system like Ooma Office is an excellent choice for small and midsize businesses, particularly those who need toll-free numbers, fax extensions, free virtual mobile number, and other features to communicate seamlessly.
However, it does lack some technical characteristics, so it’s best for those who want a straightforward yet no-frills VoIP system.
Ooma Office costs $19.95 per user per month and includes multi-device ringing, call transfer, on-hold music, digital voice mail, call reports, and automated call routing when you’re not working. There is no contract required.
In the meantime, we recommend purchasing your desk phone from Ooma for seamless sync. This virtual phone system has a simple interface that allows you to manage communications from anywhere. For example, from the web admin interface, you can manage customer calls, send faxes, check your voicemail, and alter company contracts.
- U.S. and Canadian unlimited calling
- An AI-powered virtual receptionist greets and directs callers automatically.
- Free Virtual Numbers & Toll-Free Numbers
- Conference bridge for up to 10 callers
- Voicemail to email, messaging, virtual fax, unlimited domestic phone calls, advanced call routing, call recording, voicemail transcription, and call filtering.
The 30-day money-back guarantee provided by Ooma applies to every product you purchase from the company. Should you not be satisfied with the device or service, you can return it if the customer purchased it directly from Ooma.
There are many virtual phone number providers, but Dialpad stands out because of its price and feature list. Dialpad provides a virtual phone number with all the features you need for seamless business communication. Still, it shines when it comes to offering a comprehensive business phone system.
The most impressive feature is its ability to attend video conferencing calls with an AI assistant who takes notes and transcribes calls at your request. Additionally, When you register for the service, you are granted unlimited calls, collaboration, chats, SMS, and file sharing, all from one intuitive workspace.
- 100% uptime Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- Enhanced 24/7 Phone Support
- Virtual phone number support in 50+ countries
- CRM integrations (Salesforce, Hubspot)
- Call controls (call forwarding, transfer, hold, mute)
- Custom voicemail greeting and transcription
Dialpad does not offer a free virtual number, but you can try it for 14 days free. In addition, Dialpad provides premium voice, text, HD video, and video conferencing features.
Nextiva lets you manage your virtual phone number from your desktop computer, mobile phone, tablet, or desk phone. It is one of the market’s best virtual phone number providers.
Besides keeping your local number, Nextiva enables you to use it over VoIP to get HD voice calls. You can also get virtual business numbers for different locations in the US, so you can better appeal to local and small business owners and prospective customers.
It is one of the best and most comprehensive voice, messaging, and video communication systems available today, offering four plans including the Essential, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Annual pricing ranges from $18.95 to $57.95 per user.
- Automated customer feedback
- Advanced Call and data management tools like voicemail, email conversion, call transfer, call forwarding, etc.
- Unlimited conference calls
- Recorded greetings
If you sign up for a free trial of Nextiva’s virtual phone system, you’ll get access to their entire suite of call handling features for 30 days.
Grasshopper offers various features for entrepreneurs and small businesses as a leading virtual phone number provider. Grasshopper plans include business texting, call routing, call forwarding, VoIP and Wi-Fi calling, virtual fax, voice mail, custom greetings, detailed call reports, and unlimited extensions.
There is no need to buy different phones or special equipment for Grasshopper because it works with any phone, so you can choose from Grasshopper’s inventory of local, vanity, and toll-free numbers. You can likewise port your current number to Grasshopper if you prefer.
There are three plans available starting from $26 at Grasshopper, with the only differences being the cost and the number of extensions and virtual phone numbers included. Most VoIP service providers charge a per-user fee, but Grasshopper charges no per-user fee.
- Automated call routing can be achieved using Virtual Phone extensions.
- Voice Studio & Instant Response
- Enhances your virtual phone number service and offers convenient and easy-to-use business features.
- Analyzes your company’s interactions across a wide range of channels.
- Incoming call management capabilities include automatic answering, call forwarding, call transferring, simultaneous handling, and Web-based voicemail.
Grasshopper offers a 7-day free trial, which includes one dedicated number, three extensions, 100 minutes, and 100 business texts. However, once you sign up for the Grasshopper trial, you get a 50% discount when you convert to full service.
Aside from being intuitive and scalable, Freshdesk Contact Center also offers advanced voice AI capabilities, making it one of the best free virtual phone number systems on the market today. Additionally, Freshdesk Contact Center offers superior communication capacities that help you run your business daily.
You won’t have to sacrifice your existing business numbers if switching to another VoIP service. In addition, Freshdesk seamlessly integrates with other leading applications, including Salesforce, HubSpot, Zapier, and Shopify, making it easy for your agents to work anywhere, take notes, and create tickets, all at reduced costs.
Subscription fees for Freshdesk Contact Center are $0, $15, $39, and $69 for Free, Growth, Pro, and Enterprise, respectively.
Call recording, transcripts of post-call conversations, and call masking are some features available through this virtual business system. For example, Call masking displays your business’s virtual phone number regardless of whether it is the business line or the agent’s private line.
- The virtual phone number that works in over forty countries
- Communication management and monitoring features
- Integrated call center functionality, such as multi-level IVR using a customizable call-flow mechanism to route client calls.
- Intelligent Omnichannel Freshdesk solution that automatically creates tickets for agents to handle voicemails and missed calls
- Call forwarding, call masking, IVR routing, and Call Conferencing facility.
There is a 21-day free trial for Freshdesk that includes features such as Email & Social Ticketing, Ticket Dispatch, Knowledge Base, Ticket Trend Report, and Data Center Location.
The Phone.com business phone solution caters to small companies in industries including retail, technology, virtual phone service, health, lifestyle, and education. It offers users SIP trunking services and PBX service for a single VoIP provider.
Additionally, the solution provides applications such as call queueing, conferencing, and call recording. It has a simple user interface with a range of call, phone, and management features, making it perfect for small businesses and startups.
In addition to paying-per-minute and unlimited calling plans ranging from $11.99 – $23.99, Phone.com also offers auto-attendant functionality with features such as on-hold music.
With Phone.com, you can easily configure your business phone system. The application enables you to block or answer calls through the addition of a number in your phone account. It works with call blocking, forwarding, and screening.
- Auto-attendant functionality with IVR capabilities
- Custom greetings and messages
- Call blocking, transfer, and forwarding functionality
- Unlimited extensions and call routing
- Voicemail to email conversion
While Phone.com does not offer a free trial, you can still try the service with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which provides 300 minutes of calling per month for you to decide whether you want to continue.
11. Google Voice
Free virtual number services such as Google Voice provide superior call quality at a fraction of the cost of conventional phone services. Furthermore, Google Voice offers feature-rich plans with unlimited business calls and text messages and helpful management tools to help businesses manage their calls effectively.
The Google Voice service lets you set up a business or virtual phone number on a cell phone, landline, or via the web using an internet connection. You can port an existing phone number or choose a virtual phone number with a specific area code.
Easily integrated with other Google Workspace applications, including Meet and Calendar, Google Voice is a logical addition to your company’s tech tools if you already use Google Business Suite.
Free Google Voice plans with a personal Google account are available for freelancers and solo entrepreneurs who only need a dedicated business number. For businesses, Google Voice offers three plans ranging from $10 to $30, voicemail transcription, call recording, call forwarding, unlimited call and SMS in the U.S., and 24/7 customer service.
- Voice lines work with mobile devices, laptops, and desktop phones, so you are always connected.
- Voice saves you time by blocking spam calls and transcribing voicemails automatically.
- Easily set up multi-level auto attendants and ring groups (also known as hunt groups) can be configured instantly and globally from anywhere.
- The Google Workspace Admin console makes managing number assignments, porting, and billing easy.
You can sign up for free, and as long as you use it to make and receive calls between your Google Voice number and other U.S. numbers, it’s free.
Sonetel is a free virtual phone number service that delivers a simple cloud-based phone system to up to 20 users. In addition, you can choose from a long list of countries to connect anywhere you need to communicate with customers, suppliers, or partners.
Besides making and receiving calls from the web or your mobile device and even calling internationally at low rates, they also provide a free conference call service that lets you conduct meetings without paying access fees.
With Sonetel, you receive a free business number, an internet-based phone system, call center features, conference calls, and much more. Moreover, you can use it from any device with the Sonetel app, from any internet connection, so you are safe even while abroad or making international calls.
You can use the virtual phone number app to access many outstanding features, including a local phone number in any country, a cloud-hosted business phone system, and free voice calls between Sonetel users (Sonetel to Sonetel).
- Call forwarding to anywhere worldwide at the cost of a local call
- Increased data storage & unlimited conference calls
- Numerous pre-recorded voice replication options are available.
- 100-person conference rooms, free call recording, and custom caller ID.
Sonetel provides free virtual numbers; the virtual phone number will remain free if you utilize the free chat feature on your website. Additionally, you can answer calls for free on the apps and forward calls to a mobile number or landline anywhere globally.
This platform offers inexpensive virtual phone numbers with round-the-clock customer service and the ability to customize the voice menu. First and foremost, it provides a local number to over 120 destinations worldwide.
Through this virtual phone system’s extensive list of local phone numbers, one can manage their business locally and connect with their customers. The pricing structure is based on various factors, ranging from $51 to $244 a month.
This software provides several features such as Simultaneous and Sequential Ringing, Time and Day Routing, International Call Forwarding, and more. In addition, many PBX features are available, including Customizable Voice Menu, Fax2MyEmail, VoiceMail2MyEmail, and unlimited extensions.
- A wide range of best virtual phone numbers and local numbers in more than 120 countries
- This software allows you to receive calls immediately after activating it.
- With this free virtual phone number app, you can improve client communication with the help of quality cloud-based numbers.
- It supports call conference, call forwarding, and call recording and allows you to expand internationally.
Each of Tollfreeforwarding’s plans comes with a free trial and includes several features.
The MightyCall virtual phone system offers small businesses and entrepreneurs features to help them manage the customer experience efficiently with applications including call flow configuration, forwarding, call recording, voicemail, call history, reports, and more. In addition, Facebook and Twitter integration enable users to stay in touch with their customers via social media.
A powerful feature of MightyCall is the ability to configure visual call flow charts, allowing users to set how their calls flow. In contrast, call forwarding technology enables them to make or receive calls to any number and device.
Call-ID and CNAME display virtual business phone numbers when making or receiving calls. MightyCall also supports call queues, conference calls, VIP/black-list call routing, custom greetings, visual voicemail, and an auto-attendant. Its pricing ranges from $12-$150.
Small business owners can monitor and manage inbound requests on the go with MightyCall Mobile, which provides the capability to make and receive business phone calls, be alerted to new demands, respond to them instantly, or reassign them to a team member.
- CNAM enables customers to see your company’s name on their phones when you call them
- Route calls to the right place after the workday.
- MightyCall offers local, national, and international virtual phone numbers to satisfy your branding and business needs.
- An extended list of extensions with local and toll-free numbers is offered with a free trial.
MightyCall’s free trial offers an unlimited calling facility backing an extensive list of unlimited extensions with local and toll-free numbers.
eVoice is one of the best web-based virtual phone number providers offering international coverage is another popular business phone company that provides web conferencing, sequential ringing, online faxing, call queuing, recording, forwarding, and auto-attendant features.
The application allows you to read your voicemails easily. You can get a free virtual number in your area and forward it to your existing phone number.
In addition, the solution allows businesses to customize greeting messages, add custom routing rules, receive text transcriptions, and receive notifications of incoming calls via email or text message. Finally, caller ID allows agents to verify and identify callers, so they can block, transfer, or answer calls accordingly.
The solution is available monthly, annual subscriptions range from $12.99 to $79.99, and support is provided via phone and documentation.
As an added feature to eVoice, you can create an automated virtual receptionist to handle your incoming business calls and route calls to the right person. The eVoice Live Receptionist service includes trained, US-based operators who can take your calls from 8 am-8 pm regularly.
- eVoice offers local and toll-free numbers to suit your business needs.
- Automate your national or international calls efficiently and professionally with eVoice Auto Attendant.
- Leave a positive, lasting impression on your callers by crafting a professional phone greeting.
- The eVoice call forwarding and time-based routing feature allow you to easily route calls to any number, no matter what time.
The eVoice free trial period is one of the longest on the market. Sign up for any of their plans, and you can try all the included features for 30 days.
Choosing the best free virtual phone number depends on your specific needs. For example, companies seeking an excellent combination of phone features and competitive pricing should consider CallHippo. In contrast, salespeople should consider it if they want detailed analytical reports to understand their call operations better.
Nextiva offers an affordable alternative that enables businesses to change their local contact number into virtual numbers that people can access anywhere in the world. At the same time, Ringcentral is ideal for companies looking for a robust, packed business phone system that includes such numbers.
To summarize, each free VoIP number service reviewed above offers some advantages. Virtual phone numbers will immensely boost your global customer service, generate more leads for your company, and give your company a professional appearance at an unbelievable price!